Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh How I Less Than Three...

I ♥ H.P. Lovecraft. Heard of him? Please say you have. He's brilliant, genius, incredible, amazing, awesome!

H.P. Lovecraft was a writer that I consider one of the best of all time. He wrote horror, fantasy and scifi and with over 108 works under his belt he was an icon in horror.

He was the master of creepy, scary goodness and without him I probably wouldn't be the girl I am today (interpret that as you will).
And hey, before you think I'm weird, a lot of famous folks find inspiration from H.P. too. Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, even filmmaker John Carpenter believes in his work.

From the battle of giant alternate universe Gods, to fish people who kill everything in their path, to evil mad scientists and witches who feed off children. His writing is not for the faint of heart, but once you get into it you can't help but read more and more.

My favorite of his stories is "Shadows Over Innsmouth" about a town of people who in order to become immortal must worship Dagon, a fish God, and become like him. A man is sent to investigate the strange town and the townspeople must do whatever it takes to ensure he will not leave. Muahaha!

Yes, H.P., I ♥. He was a creepy, gory, nasty dude and I love every story of his I get my hands on. Some of the scenes I am writing in my WIP is inspired by H.P., and I hope to do him proud.

2 comments:

  1. Please don't think less of me, but I have never heard of him. I"ll have to pick up one of his books. :) Good luck on your WIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Well he did write really scary stuff, maybe that's why you haven't read him. I've never seen you read scary stuff before!
    Thanks, I'm having a ton of fun so far! :)

    ReplyDelete